Monday 27 January 2014

32GB Premium Wii U is £179.99 at Argos/Very/Amazon, so we bought one!

Hello everyone, Kieran 'Mukea' Miller here again. So me and my fiancé have been wanting a Wii U since release, however we haven't been able to afford it till now. We had a PS4 pre-ordered but also realised we couldn't afford that so we gave the pre-order to my friend and we weren't really bothered about it seeing as every single good looking title got pushed back. We said we'd wait and pick one up at a later date, however, we then decided we didn't want the PS4 at all seeing as most of the games would also come out on PC and/or the 360 (Destiny) or the Wii U.

I was sitting there browsing Facebook when I saw a post from Official Nintendo Magazine saying how crazy it was that Argos were selling the 32GB Premium Wii U for £180! We jumped at this opportunity and got it put on her parents Argos card so we don't have to pay for it for six months, and I have to say, the Wii U is so much fun!

It's all over the news that Nintendo lost a lot of money last year due to the Wii U being a 'failure', however I guarantee you the majority of the people that slag off the Wii U haven't even played it, and the rest probably don't even realise it's a new console. In my opinion that is one of Nintendo's flaws, the same thing happened with the 3DS, a lot of people didn't realise it was actually a BRAND NEW console, they thought it was just a gimmicky normal DS. Nintendo need to come up with better names which well and truly show that it is a brand new console. People think that they should pull a SEGA and sell their games to third parties, however I don't think Nintendo will EVER do that. At least I hope they never do, the Nintendo I know and love know exactly what they want and stick to their guns even if things looks grim at first (the 3DS for example, it flopped at first, then they cut the price and released some big titles and now it is fine).

This price cut was a retailer choice rather than Nintendo's own choice, if Nintendo themselves had actually cut the price there would probably have been some sort of Ambassador Program like there was for the 3DS (people that bought the 3DS at full price got 10 free NES games and 10 free, unavailable in the shop, GBA games). Personally I think that this price is much better and it should definitely boost sales, plus come April we get “Mario Kart 8” which will also help.

But anyway, mini rant over, the Wii U is awesome! Along with “Nintendo Land” which comes with the console, we bought “ZombiU” and “New Super Luigi U”. “ZombiU” is amazing and it is definitely the game that will tide me over until “Dying Light” is released for PC and other consoles. It is set in London and is a zombie survival game with quite a high difficulty to it. You can use the game pad to scan areas for gear and infected, along with this a map is shown on it, and if you loot something, on the TV you can see your character looking in whatever you're looting while you control the item management yourself on the game pad, leaving your character completely vulnerable. A feature that I really like is your character has a randomised name, appearance and job. My first character was called Mark Thomas and he was a Software Engineer. However, it is very easy to die, one bite and it's all over for you, that character is then dead. You respawn as a completely new character, and if you want your gear back, you have to find your old character, and kill the zombie that they have become! It is very good fun, and scary to boot.

“New Super Luigi U” was released as a stand alone game as well as being a DLC for “New Super Mario Bros U”, so I thought it was literally going to be the same game, just with a Luigi theme to it. Boy was I wrong. It is the same worlds, but each individual level is different, shorter, harder, there are no checkpoints, and you only have 100 seconds to finish the level! It is incredibly hard, and I have raged at it way more than I would like, but it is still a fun game.

“Nintendo Land” is also great, it is filled with Nintendo based mini games, some of which are single player, others are co-op and there are also some competitive games. They utilise the game pad very well and are great to play with people round.

Anyway, I think I have said enough. The Wii U is great, we have no regrets, plus when “Mario Kart 8” and “Super Smash Bros” come out people probably won't see me for a while. Either way, if you previously didn't think much of the Wii U, I hope I have swayed you over! Thanks for reading!


TLDR: 32GB Premium Wii U is £180 at some retailers, at this price it is an amazing purchase, and is incredibly fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment